Monday, February 7, 2011

Hospital(ity)




So we had heard all these horror stories about how when you deliver at the hospital, you don't get any sleep, and are always interrupted by doctors, nurses, aids, visitors, etc. . . I am pleased to say that was totally not the case during our stay after Madison was born. Not to say they were negligent either.

We delivered via C-section at Brigham and Women's Hospital (the hospital I used to work at for 3 years in Cardiac Surgery), the #1 Labor and Delivery Program in the country. I had a c-section on Thursday morning Feb 3, 2011 and Madison Rylee was born at 9:34 am. (More to come about my freak out during c-section later). We sat in the recovery room for a little over 2 hours and had Madison with us the whole time. I was able to hold her and begin to feed within the first 30 minutes after I had use and feeling of my upper body again. From there we were taken to the post partum floor where our nurses were nothing short of helpful and wonderful. We were there for 4ish days and 3 nights. During that time they encouraged us to rest when we could. They have nurses on staff for the nursery 24/7 and made us feel safe about leaving her in there so we could get some rest. We took them up on that at night, keeping her with us until 10ish then having her brought in for feedings at night every 3-4 hours or when she was awake.

Anyways, they only did my vitals every 8 hours and the nurses made their assessments of me at a convenient time. If I was sleeping or feeding or eating, they would come back later. They were not in a rush just to get their paperwork charted. . .etc. One thing they were on top of which was greatly appreciated was my pain medicine. Toward the end they would leave it up to me if I wanted it or not but they always brought it in to me right on time if I wanted it on schedule. Good thing too, b/c I would have gotten way behind and lost track of when I had it last.

Even though they mostly new I was a nurse and even some new I worked in Pediatrics, they were always willing to answer my questions and never looked at me like, this is something you should know.

All in all I can't speak highly enough of the nurses of CWN 10 at BWH. It was such a pleasant stay and I did actually feel somewhat rested when we came home.

As for my C-section:
Lets just say that all the preparation I did, relaxation techniques, and even seeing a section before did not prevent a freak out on my part.

I did fine during the spinal block. The nurse was impressed that I was so calm and cooperative. She held my hand (they wouldn't let Adam in just yet) and I barely had to squeeze hers. That is where my calmness ended.

A lot happened very quickly after that:
They proceeded to lie me down on my back-my legs and abdomen beginning to go numb, put my arms in these arm rests (and told me not to move them), put up a blanket right in front of my face, place an oxygen mask on my face, poke me with a toothpick like thing and try to insert a catheter. . .all at the same time-oh and my IV started burning b/c of the antibiotic. Adam still was not in the room at this point.

I think I got too over stimulated and slightly claustraphobic (with the sheet and mask on). I couldn't feel my legs yet I could still feel areas on my stomach the anesthesiologists was poking with the toothpick and I was worried I would feel the incision too.

Anyways I remember starting to freak out and move around (which they didn't like). I started stating I couldn't do this, I wanted to just go home, taking off my pulse ox and mask, trying to sit up. . .etc. . .I was just crazy. One of the anesthesiologists took my hand while my OB tried to calm me down and tell me it was going to be ok and that people freak all the time (but they are probably not nurses). They brought Adam in the room (finally) and I remember thinking how irrational I was being. I was able to just close my eyes and focus on him holding my hand and stroking my face. I was calm as a cucumber from then on. My OB even asked if the anesthesiologist had given me anything to calm me down, which he didn't. The next think I know after thinking I just needed to cut it out and chill out, I heard my baby girl crying. I didn't even know they had made the incision yet and there she was crying for me to here.

I listened for 2 things. . .the word "She" and her weight. 7lb 2 oz, 18.5inches long.

It was amazing. I remember Adam bringing her over to me and I just remained calm during the closure b/c I could see her beautiful face.
So nurses don't always make great patients. It's so weird being on the flip side of being the one to care for the patients.

More to come later, but for now I must get back to this whole motherhood thing :)


No comments:

Post a Comment