Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Madison's Big Day of Firsts

So at just 5 days old Madison had her first big outing; her first bath at home (2nd bath total); and her first bottle.

The outing took us 5.5 hours to go to the doctor, Adam's Walgreens store, and a quick trip to the grocery store.

We started at 12:45 by heading out to her pediatricians office (which is actually where I work) for a 2:00 appt for a weight check and bilirubin level . We left early so we could grab a bite to eat first and then I could have time to show her off to my coworkers before my appointment. The oogled over her of course which I enjoyed, everyone said she looks like her daddy (and I agree).

So her weight was the same as when she left the hospital 2 days prior. At least she hadn't lost any. Her bilirubin level was still slightly high but for her age and size it is a low risk and should be corrected with more feeding.

So as for the more feeding part. . .Everyone kept saying how great I looked and I felt good yesterday. I got quite a bit of sleep the night before, Madison (like her mommy) loves to sleep. She was only waking up to feed every 3 hours and I didn't know to do any different. I was told that I now have to feed her every 2 hours and let me just say that after a day of being on an every 2 hour schedule I feel the sleep deprivation coming on strong. . . By the time I get up and go to the bathroom, wake her up, feed her (usually about 30 minutes) and change her diaper it's been almost an hour. So I get one hour of sleep and it's time to do it all over again.

Anyways I fed her at the Dr office and we headed further down south to Adam's Walgreens store. He needed to get on their computer system to enroll her in insurance and we had a few things to pick up. Also to show her off. . .of course.

By the time we were leaving there it was time to eat again! So I sat in a back room near the pharmacy and 3o minutes later we left. Since she was recently fed and we were out of food at the house we decided it was an opportune time to stop at the grocery store. So she got to have her first grocery store experience. Then when we got home, time to eat again!

First Bath:
So we gave her her first sponge bath (really second bath, but our first) and of course she screamed the whole time until we got to her head. Which we did last after she was wrapped up in a towel. She loved it when I rubbed her little tiny head with my soapy washcloth. It was so cute. She just gave me this look of "Ohhhh yeaaah, mommy, I like that." So we made it through, we were nervous about her getting to cold and all that but it went fine.

First Bottle:
So this whole feeding every 2 hours instead of 3 is really tough as I mentioned. I have started to occasionally pump the side she won't be feeding on and pumping whats left in the side she does. I had a little over 2 ounces last night from one pump in the afternoon. Adam got to feed her for the first time and it was special to him. I know he enjoyed it. It was amazing though, what takes her 30 minutes to eat from me each feed, took only 5 minutes for her to guzzle down from the bottle. Feeding time was a lot shorter, and I was envious. We are trying it again tonight to give me a break. Hopefully I won't need to pump and can make it to the next feed without too much pain.

So that was Madison's BIG day of firsts. I think it was more exhausting for mommy and daddy than her (she slept a lot in the car).

Today we stayed home and did not leave the house. I'm starting to hit the brink of exhaustion b/c I'm not obeying that whole "sleep when the baby sleeps" rule. I need to do that more, even little cat naps if I can.

Oh and can I just say that sleep sacks are amazing! We have put her in just a t-shirt and sleep sack with socks on at night, then swaddle her. When I need to change a diaper there is no unbuttoning or unzipping of a onesie. All I have to do is unswaddle her, pull up the sleep sack and then change the diaper. We will eventually stop this I am sure, but for now it's easy access.

No comments:

Post a Comment